Director, Major GiftsCompany: Detroit Public TV
Date Posted: February 14, 2018
Detroit Public Television (DPTV) is the non-commercial, viewer-supported PBS-member station watched by more than 1.5 million people in Detroit and Southeast Michigan and another 1.2 million people throughout Canada. Our vision is for a community in which people trust public media to help them discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
DPTV offers 24 hours of PBS Kids programs each weekday, along with other favorite local and national programming and news shows, such as PBS Newshour. The station is notably active in the community producing local programs that showcase arts, culture, and news analysis using the power of media to provide knowledge and understanding.
DPTV, a 501(c) 3 organization licensed to the Detroit Educational Television Foundation and governed by a volunteer board of trustees from the local business, civic, and cultural communities also manages WRCJ 90.9 FM, Detroit's classical and jazz radio station, located in the Detroit School of Arts.
In addition to the main channel 56.1, the station also operates Detroit PBS Kids Channel, 56.2; CREATE 56.3 and The WORLD channel 56.4.
1 Clover Court, Wixom, MI, 48393, United States
The Director, Major Gifts, will work with the Senior Vice President of Development, development team, and initiative leaders and senior staff in developing and implementing strategic, multi-level plans for achieving the organization’s fundraising goals. The Director will assist in designing, implementing, and managing a comprehensive, proactive fundraising plan focused on expanding philanthropic giving to Detroit Public TV & WRCJ. The Director will manage a portfolio of prospects and collaborate with the team to solicit major gift prospects for transformational, annual and planned giving support.
• Develop and execute strategies to identify, research, cultivate and solicit qualified prospects for major and planned gifts in collaboration and cooperation with the Senior Vice President, Development
• Develop strategies and approaches to generate ever-higher levels of giving
• Work with other members of the revenue generating departments in support of individual giving, sustainer giving, member services, business development, special events, web and on-air communications support, and database mining
• Respond to inquiries and meet with prospects and their advisors in one-on-one or group settings
• Negotiate terms of major gifts and planned giving agreements with donors
• Provide tax and estate planning information necessary to secure and promote planned/deferred gifts
• Manage major individual cultivation and stewardship events
• Identify prospective donors
• Conduct solicitations
• Other duties as assigned
• Demonstrable evidence of high net worth portfolio management, including the ability to evaluate, develop, cultivate, solicit, and steward prospects
• Excellent communication skills combined with strong writing and presentation skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships internally and externally
• Skilled in using personal computers and software programs for retrieving, organizing, and researching donor/prospect information and to analyze data
• Desire to work in a values based organization that serves the educational, cultural, and informational needs of the community
• Ability to quickly learn Detroit Public TV & WRCJ programming and initiatives, audiences served and partnerships with ability to persuasively connect and articulate a donor’s interest to DPTV & WRCJ for philanthropic support
• High level of sophistication in social and professional settings
• Ability to work a flexible schedule as needed to support station and community events
• Bachelor’s Degree in a related field required
• 7-10 years of major individual gift fundraising experience
o Experience in healthcare or higher ed fundraising preferred
o Experience managing other fundraisers preferred
• Experience in incorporating planned giving into major gifts solicitations
How to Apply:
Email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com